The NSW Rural Fire Service Association, the officially recognised member association representing the State’s 70,000 rural fire fighters, is the voice for all volunteer and salaried rural fire fighters in NSW.
KDK Media was engaged to counteract negative media from a spin-off organisation, and to raise the RFSA’s profile with all its stakeholders through NSW including local and state government, the Rural Fire Service, RFSA members and the state’s metropolitan and regional media.
KDK Media’s approach covered issues management and strategic public relations planning to counteract negative sentiment and to consistently profile raise the RFSA as the key representative association. The strategy began with media training key spokespeople, followed by building relationships with the RFSA’s executive officer and president with all metropolitan and regional media (television, radio and print) and key stakeholders through media releases of key announcements, sourcing opportunities from key government announcements, media monitoring to gauge key issues, and drafting case studies with particular attention paid to ‘sensitive’ areas.
- implemented a number of successful strategic PR campaigns resulting in counteracting and defusing the initial adverse media
- significantly raised the profile of the RFSA and its key spokespeople as the key voice for rural fire fighters in NSW.
- successful media campaigns, ie RFSA’s annual conference
- key political commentary for the RFSA’s executive officer on proposed workplace legislation etc
- extensive media coverage in national tv, radio and metro and regional print where media hits were on average 20 a month